[geocentrism] Re: The Sun/ Comment & question

  • From: Alan Griffin <ajg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:04:19 +0100

On 07 Aug, Knarr <knarrrj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>           Nowadays the distances are known extremely accurately by laser
>   ranging, as they can bounce a radar beam off Venus, and time it. Since
>   the velocity of light is known to 9 places of decimals, this is a
>   pretty accurate way of measuring!

>           Does this help?

>           Alan Griffin
>   ---------------------------------------------------- Dear Alan, The
>   velocity of light is not known. Only the reflected speed of light is
>   known.

Dear Ronald,

        Light is an electromagnetic wave. It doesn't make any difference
to it whether it's been reflected. It still travels at the same speed, and
that speed is known to nine places of decimals.

> Can you name one place where the speed of light was measured
>   directly?

        Yes. The speed of light was first measured by timing the eclipses
of the Jovian satellites. The light from them is a one-way path.

> The constancy of the speed of light , also, is a theoretical
>   assumption. This point(s) was covered in some depth in Robert
>   Lavaggi's book Einstein On The Carpet.

        It's a pretty good assumption. There is no evidence that it
changes, and no theoretical reason why it should change. The equations of
electromagnetic theory do not predict it. This is another case of
geocentricists trying to make something which is straightforward more
complicated in order to muddy the waters!

Do water waves change speed on reflection? -----NO.
Do sound waves change speed on reflection? -----NO.
Can you give me a single (sensible!) reason why light waves should change
speed on reflection -----NO.

> Perhaps you could help me. I
>   have been trying to find out if the orbital speed of a satellite, the
>   speed necessay to keep it in a stabil orbit,  would alway be the same
>   at a given distance from the earth regardless of  the satellites mass.
> Thank you, Ronald Knarr

         Yes of course it is. The International space station is a
satellite. The astronauts inside it are satellites too, but their masses
are much smaller. If they had to go at a different speed, they wouldn't
float around inside the spacecraft as if they were weightless. They would
be pressed against the back or front of the spacecraft.

        The maths also proves it. The force on the satellite =GMm/R^2, and
this = the centripetal force on the satellite mv^2/R
Where G=gravitational constant, M=mass of earth, m=mass of satellite,
R=radius of orbit and v=velocity of satellite. If you put these two
expressions equal to one another the m cancels out leaving you with the
expression for velocity in terms of the radius of orbit, with no m in the
expression.

        Alan Griffin