[geocentrism] Re: The Sun/ Comment & question

  • From: Alan Griffin <ajg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:56:11 +0100

On 09 Aug, Philip <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You can use the same expression to weigh the earth, knowing the
> distance of the moon and the time it takes to orbit.

>         Alan Griffin It seems you would need to know the G constant for
> the sun. How would you obtain that?

        The whole point about a constant is that it's constant!!!
(Remember the speed of light which is a universal constant).
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 whereever you measure it.

> I'm no good at big maths Alan
> Could you please calculate for me what the weight of this moon would be
> if the earth was indeed stationary,, and the moon orbited us once in 24
> hours, less that 28 day slip of course if it mattered much.

        Sorry. The whole point about satellites is that the orbit does not
depend on mass. Any object at the distance of the moon would take the same
time to orbit, so you can't measure the mass of the thing which is in
orbit, only the object around which it is orbiting.

        It was this that demonstrated Newton's brilliance, because having
guessed the inverse square law of gravitation, he calculated how long a
mass would take to orbit the earth at the distance of the moon - and it
came out to 27.3 days, which is exactly how long the moon takes!

        Alan