[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:46:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 4/12/10, BruceD <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this right? D is only comfortable attributing
> intentionality to others (and to himself?), when the observed
> behavior meets certain criteria?

Exactly. We should consider Dennett a behaviorist: he denies/ignores the
existence of subjective mental states in the supposed name of doing "objective
science".

Searle understands rightly that we can have an epistemically objective science
of ontologically subjective phenomena. In fact we already have such science.
For example we have an objective science of how to treat subjective toothaches,
as your dentist knows.

-gts