[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 01:21:38 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote: To:
wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The DVD and CD players, to the extent that they are digital devices,
> work by manipulating electrical impulses that are arbitrarily
> assigned the values of '1' and '0' based on the strength of the
> impulse.

> human intentionality is required to designate the high voltage
> impulse as a '1' and the low voltage as a '0'. it's arbitrary. it
> could have been done in reverse.

The music and video still play, whether or not there is a human  around
lending intentionality.

The point here is that the Searle style of argument works just as  well
for these examples.  Describe the action of the processor as  symbol
manipulation.  And from that it seems quite ridiculous that  you could
get music or video playing.  So argument by ridicule, such  as Searle
used, should show that DVD and CD players do not work.  But, of course,
they do work.  And they work because the music or  video is produced by
the system as a whole.  Looking only at the  processor paints a
misleading picture of what is happening.

Searle never adequately responds to the Systems Reply.  Nor does
Gordon.

> syntax doesn't generate semantics because it is an act with mental
> content (semantic) that creates the possibility of syntax.

While that might possibly be true, all we have from Searle, from  Gordon
and from you are bare assertions with no actual evidence.

Regards,
Neil