[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:54:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 4/11/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> he means simply that people really do have such things
>> as toothaches - that such things as toothaches really do
>> exist in the world. And of course he's right; we know this
>> before we start doing philosophy.
>

> Nor does Dennett deny it. Nor do I. The point is we are
> prepared to explain its occurrence in physicalist terms and
> do not presume that something that is separate from the
> physical must be at work.

You claim to understand Searle. If you did then you would know that he posits
nothing separate from the physical and that his philosophy in no way implies
such.

And as I've stated, I do not (nor should anyone) take seriously any definition
of "dualism" that does not entail a non-physical explanation of the mental.

-gts