[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:53:13 -0000

>> The music and video still play, whether or not there is a human
>> around lending intentionality.

> would they be playing if there had never been any human
> intentionality to establish the programming conventions on which
> those devices operate?

That's a quite different issue.  And, incidently, it is one of  the
reasons that I am skeptical of computationalism.

> Searle's point is that neither the man in the CR nor the CR as a
> system acquires the subjective experience of understanding just by
> manipulating symbols according to rules.

Searle's argument establishes the first (though that was never  a real
issue).  It fails to establish the second.

> are you claiming that if we stop focusing on the CPU we'll see that
> the system as a whole has subjective experience?

No, I don't claim that.  I claim only that if we stop focussing on  the
CPU, we will see that nothing at all is proved about whether  the system
as a whole has subjective experience.

> the so-called 'Systems Reply' does not even attempt a response to
> Searle's point: there is no subjective experience of understanding
> Chinese in the CR.

The Systems Reply is responding only to Searle's claim that he  has
disproved that there could be intentionality.  The AI folk do  recognize
that a positive claim of achieving intentionality will  require
experimental demonstration, and they acknowledge that they  have not
achieved that.

Back to an earlier point:

> would they be playing if there had never been any human
> intentionality to establish the programming conventions on which
> those devices operate?

The AI people say very little about how one of their AI systems  would
go about establishing conventions.  For that matter, I see  very little
mention of this in what I have read on scientific  epistemology.  Yet
establishing conventions is a fundamental part  of scientific progress.
So, yes, I do see this as a problem both  for AI and for epistemology.

Regards,
Neil