[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:04:56 -0000

> Searle's third premise entails a very simple claim: nobody and
> nothing can understand symbols solely from manipulating them
> according to their shapes.

The Systems reply acknowledges this, and responds "So what?"

The claim is that the system as a whole is not merely manipulating
symbols, but is also making use of a database of stored knowledge.

> I don't see it as a complicate claim. It only looks complicated to
> those caught in the grips of an ideology.

Your DVD player works by manipulating symbols according to their  shape.
Nothing could possibly create a picture by such manipulation.  Anybody
who thinks that a DVD player could actually display pictures  must be
caught in the grips of an ideology.

Your CD player works by manipulating symbols according to their  shape.
Nothing could possibly create the sound of orchestral music  by such
manipulation.  Anybody who thinks that a CD player could  actually
produce the sounds of orchestral music must be caught in  the grips of
an ideology.

</sarcasm>

Computationalism might be mistaken.  However, your argument (and
Searle's) against it is hopelessly simplistic.

Regards,
Neil