[Wittrs] What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 06:36:01 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Gordon Swobe wrote:

>>>Now THAT you need to defend

>>As Joe and others have repeatedly tried to explain, and as I now also
>>try to explain, you suggest wrongly that Searle's view in some way
>>entails something you call Cartesian dualism.

>"Ontological dualism" and you have yet to argue why I am wrong. You
>have only asserted it. Joe, at least, made arguments.

one of my arguments is that you've admitted that 'ontological dualism'
means 'substance dualism'.

just a few days ago, you said "Since you equated Cartesian dualism with
'substance dualism' and we had agreed that by 'ontological dualism' I
meant the same thing as what you meant by 'substance dualism', Dennett's
claim that it took a Cartesian dualist to read the CRA as Searle read it
amounted to the assertion that 'ontological dualism' (or 'substance
dualism') lay at the heart of the CRA."

Joe