[Wittrs] What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:06:56 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Explaining the occurrence of subjective experiences in physical terms
>is not dualism. You mistake the explicit recognition of subjective
>experience with dualism which is about how we account for its presence
>in the universe.

thank you for clearing that up; it explicitizes a crucial difference in
our viewpoints and in our vocabularies.

my claim, as expressed the other day, is that: "just recognizing that
there is subjective experience that a philosophy of consciousness must
account for is dualism; but, it is not substance dualism".
I should have added that it is not property dualism either.

if you recognize that there is subjectivity/experience; then, you
implicitly recognize two kinds of phenomena; and, hence, you are a
phenomenological dualist.

>>>[Stuart (previously)]: the third premise hinges on what is shown in
>>>the CR and the point is that it is NOT shown to be the case in the CR
>>>unless you already presume dualism -- which, as we have seen, you do.

>>[Joe]: neither I nor Searle nor the CRT presume anything more than the
>>basic fact of philosophy of consciousness: there is subjective
>>experience in an objective universe. this is a phenomenological
>>dualism.

>So in other words you presume dualism as I've said!

no. I presuppose phenomenological dualism as I've defined it above.
claiming that I've admitted to presuming 'dualism' introduces the Mirsky
FUD.

you've taken an admission that I presuppose phenomenological dualism as
I define phenomenological dualism; and, claimed that this is evidence of
dualism as you define dualism; meaning, substance dualism.

you've equivocated as to the definition of 'dualism' by changing its
definition in mid argument. notice how the lack of a qualifier makes the
term ambiguous

since, according to you, "The point of philosophy, of course, is to
wring out ambiguities which lead to confusions and logical mistakes when
we find them", you should clean up your act.

Joe