[Wittrs] What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:30:53 -0400

iro3isdx wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Searle's point is that neither the man in the CR nor the CR as a
>>system acquires the subjective experience of understanding just by
>>manipulating symbols according to rules.

>Searle's argument establishes the first (though that was never a real
>issue). It fails to establish the second.

>>are you claiming that if we stop focusing on the CPU we'll see that
>>the system as a whole has subjective experience?

>No, I don't claim that. I claim only that if we stop focussing on the
>CPU, we will see that nothing at all is proved about whether the system
>as a whole has subjective experience.

Searle doesn't claim to have disproved the possibility that a computer
could experience consciousness, understanding, intentionality etc.
Searle's claim is that no computer could experience such phenomena
solely by virtue of running a program.

so, with that in mind, feel free to avoid focusing on the CPU (where,
presumably, programs run) and present your case to the effect that
nothing has been shown as to whether the system as a whole has
subjective experience solely by virtue of running a program.

Joe