[Wittrs] What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 05:38:49 -0400

SWM wrote:

>the third premise hinges on what is shown in the CR and the point is
>that it is NOT shown to be the case in the CR unless you already
>presume dualism -- which, as we have seen, you do.

neither I nor Searle nor the CRT presume anything more than the basic
fact of philosophy of consciousness: there is subjective experience in
an objective universe. this is a phenomenological dualism.

Searle's phenomenological dualism is an ontological dualism because it
has two ontological basics; but, phenomenological dualism is not
necessarily substance dualism; and, in Searle's case, it is not ---
precisely because Searle only has one ontologically basic kind of
'stuff'. his other ontological basic, subjective experience, is an
ontologically basic phenomenon.

Joe