[TechAssist] Re: Quality Control

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 21:44:51 +0000

That supprising I buy what many people term Generics or JEDIC number parts
and have very few problems I buy from many diffrent suppliers inc Dalbani,
Mat, Suburban, Consolidated, MCM, Electronica, Electro Sound, Andrews,
Herman, B&D ... and others, Although when I subsitute I tend to overrate
just like NTE does. Some of the off brand stuff can be touchy but the rest
is generally ok. A lot of it is just dertermining Who has suitable
replacment parts for what comes in or who has the most of what I like to
keep in stock when I order. Some suppliers will provide Traciablity on
components. Maybe we should start to ask .....

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV

From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: Quality Control
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:33:51 -0400

I have had virtually no problems with the generics from Tritronics, other
than the fact that on the STKs they need to protect the pins.  They come in
with bent pins often and I had one that was broken.  Any time I have had one
that failed (I can recall only two in the three years that I have been using
Tritronics) they have replaced them with no problem.  I have had as many
"originals" fail as I have generics.

I use a lot of the STK outputs for convergence ICs because I do a lot of
projection sets.  I get original parts from Sony, Panasonic, and Mitsubishi
for warranty repairs and have had two of those that I can recall received
bad during the same period of time (one from Panasonic and one from
Mitsubishi).  For time reasons I replaced both of those with gererics and
they have been fine.  The bad one from Mits was a broken pin also.

I always look the audio outputs over carefully because there have been more
reports of problems with those, but I have seen no problems with the parts
from Tritronics.  I use a lot of the 2sc4834 for the sony power supplies and
have had no problems at all with those.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World