[sugpro] Re: Hope I found everyone

  • From: Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:55:16 -0800

Michael,

I agree with much of what you say, but I think Jurriaan also makes an important point when he mentions employers.

It's been a long time since I applied for a job, and I have no idea what it's like to do so outside the U.S., but from what I see on the news, employers are getting very intrusive--looking at Facebook pages, Googling people, even asking for *passwords* to social network accounts! I consider this highly intrusive and I would never give out a password, but I can't stop a potential employer from Googling my name. And, sad to say, at least here in the U.S., there are undoubtedly some people that would interpret rocketry in a negative light, no matter how much explaining one might do. The problem is much larger than just this mailing list; I don't have a solution for it other than to use an alias.

--Steve

On 02/10/2015 04:59 AM, Michael Monteith (Redacted sender michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
I think the best solution is education.  Let's think about it.  People like
Richard Nakka, James Yawn, and countless others have posted reams of
information not just on making but safety and provide informative information
in all areas out in the open.  It's true that no matter how much you try they
will pervert anything.  But the last thing you want to do is go hiding behind
locked doors and then try to say your a safe, legal group when people have no
idea what is discussed behind those locked doors.  Being open, honest, and yet
responsible to inform everyone that there are legal, safe means of doing what
we do.  But at the same time we have fun doing it and the reason we can do it
for many years is because we do it safe and legal.

Michael

  Subject: [sugpro] Re: Hope I found everyone
  To: "sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 3:57 AM
One
  downside of this list is that it posts directly to the web
  and will pop up in the search results of for example google
  and stored "for life".
https://www.google.nl/search?q=bruce+beck+sugpro&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=gcLZVIieF8-FoAfo_YC4BA&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&q=sugpro+jurriaan+freelist
  Not sure whether this is an option one can toggle
  on/off but is doesn't shield
  "sensitive" information or any
  chit-chat as I assume most do not post under an alias. I
  would feel better when posting if only the information
  shared in this list would be kept within the list member
  only rather than bluntly dumped on the net visible for
  everybody from employers, customers or people with wrong
  intentions etc.
  On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at
  1:36 AM, Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
Re bulk mailings--I just realized there
        is a potential problem: there are now many, many spam
  detection
        schemes in place at many ISPs. I don't know what
  all they look at,
        but I do know that bulk mailing can be a problem.
  There are
        "proper" ways of doing it (if you're a
  legit mailing list), but
        I'm not familiar with them.  I would hate to see
  anyone's email
        address get blacklisted due to a perfectly innocent
  mistake.
--Steve On 02/09/2015 04:21 PM, Bruce Beck wrote: I have many issues going back to
  12-07
On Mon, Feb 9,
  2015 at 5:06 PM, Kenneth
            Irving <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>
            wrote:
That
                  can be of great help. How should we proceed?
  Any
                  suggestions?
  <shawn.mchatten@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I kept all 6800 messages from
  when I joined back on Feb 12, 2009. Coincidence or what.
  I've culled the 700 messages or so from the last year
  and a half, from Jan 1, 2012 to mid June 2013 when the list
  shut down. There were around 100 contributors in those 700
  messages that I can drag the email addresses out of if that
  would help. It will only be those that actually posted but
  might be a start.
Shawn On 2015-02-09 16:06, Steve Peterson wrote:
  > As I said, I did look through the archive for the old
  list but the
  > problem was that the list had been so erratic for so
  many months that
  > the only archive that remained online only had posts by
  a few
  > individuals. IIRC, there had been some problem
  switching over from an
  > old server and the really old (and really useful)
  archive was no
  > longer available. Now I see that even the archive that
  I looked
  > through is no longer online (not surprising, I guess).
  Dave McCue, if
  > you can reach him, *might* have some old stuff lying
  around, but I
  > wouldn't hold out much hope.
  >
  > --Steve
  >

  > On 02/09/2015 12:15 PM, Richard Nakka wrote:
  >> Dave McCue, former SugPro list moderator, may have
  those files.

  <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
  >>> What happened to the old list files? Are they
  still available somewhere?
  >>> Because maybe it could be useful to scrub all
  the emails from it and send
  >>> invitations to the former subscribers to join
  the new list, in case they are
  >>> interested. I can help with that, but I'd
  need access to the old list files.

  subscribed. I'm sure the link will
  I'm a noob at list moderation and only
  one else was making any visible effort to
  Michael's question about the Freelists
  Freelists means by that and I haven't had any
  Maybe it should point to
  most complete (not to mention

  wrote:
> [...]
  currently on this new list? I was
  'whole group' from SugPro was on
  been wondering how may people are
  I've been particularly active the past
  building and  launching KNSB

  new list.

  wrote:
> [...]
  the list, I did once consider trying
  but I wasn't able to scavenge enough
  archive to make it worth the effort. I
  along and we'll get most of the old
  say that I'm beginning to wonder just
  sugar propellants (or even rocketry in

  Irving wrote:

> [...]
  the list list was recreated but the
  included by default in the new list. That
  has passed and the community has been

  Monteith
  gone. I think the biggest problem is people
  list.   If this works maybe I can send to
  around.