[sugpro] Re: Hope I found everyone

  • From: Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 04:13:33 -0800

Yes, the archives are available to non-list-members. This is true for aRocket and SS2S-Main lists as well. I checked the online doc at freelists.org and didn't see an option for hiding the archive. While your "name" (actual or alias) appears in the archive, the actual email address does not.

--Steve

On 02/10/2015 12:57 AM, Jurriaan van de Beek wrote:
One downside of this list is that it posts directly to the web and will pop up in the search results of for example google and stored "for life". https://www.google.nl/search?q=bruce+beck+sugpro&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=gcLZVIieF8-FoAfo_YC4BA&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&q=sugpro+jurriaan+freelist Not sure whether this is an option one can toggle on/off but is doesn't shield "sensitive" information or any chit-chat as I assume most do not post under an alias. I would feel better when posting if only the information shared in this list would be kept within the list member only rather than bluntly dumped on the net visible for everybody from employers, customers or people with wrong intentions etc.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:36 AM, Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Re bulk mailings--I just realized there is a potential problem:
    there are now many, many spam detection schemes in place at many
    ISPs. I don't know what all they look at, but I do know that bulk
    mailing can be a problem. There are "proper" ways of doing it (if
    you're a legit mailing list), but I'm not familiar with them.  I
    would hate to see anyone's email address get blacklisted due to a
    perfectly innocent mistake.

    --Steve
    On 02/09/2015 04:21 PM, Bruce Beck wrote:
    I have many issues going back to 12-07

    On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Kenneth Irving
    <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        That can be of great help. How should we proceed? Any
        suggestions?

        <mailto:shawn.mchatten@xxxxxxxxxxx>>:

            I kept all 6800 messages from when I joined back on Feb 12, 2009.
Coincidence or what. I've culled the 700 messages or so from the last year and
a half, from Jan 1, 2012 to mid June 2013 when the list shut down. There were
around 100 contributors in those 700 messages that I can drag the email
addresses out of if that would help. It will only be those that actually posted
but might be a start.

            Shawn
            On 2015-02-09 16:06, Steve Peterson wrote: > As I said, I
            did look through the archive for the old list but the >
            problem was that the list had been so erratic for so many
            months that > the only archive that remained online only
            had posts by a few > individuals. IIRC, there had been
            some problem switching over from an > old server and the
            really old (and really useful) archive was no > longer
            available. Now I see that even the archive that I looked
            > through is no longer online (not surprising, I guess).
            Dave McCue, if > you can reach him, *might* have some old
            stuff lying around, but I > wouldn't hold out much hope.
            > > --Steve > > > On 02/09/2015 12:15 PM, Richard Nakka
            wrote: >> Dave McCue, former SugPro list moderator, may
            have those files. >> >> >> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:19
            PM, Kenneth Irving <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote: >>> What
            happened to the old list files? Are they still available
            somewhere? >>> Because maybe it could be useful to scrub
            all the emails from it and send >>> invitations to the
            former subscribers to join the new list, in case they are
            >>> interested. I can help with that, but I'd need access
            to the old list files. >>> >>> 2015-02-09 17:12 GMT-02:00
            Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>: >>>> Only a
            couple of dozen people have subscribed. I'm sure the link
            will >>>> help...as will Michael's effort. I'm a noob at
            list moderation and only >>>> "signed up" to do this
            because no one else was making any visible effort to >>>>
            get the list going again. As for Michael's question about
            the Freelists >>>> "webpage", I have no idea what
            Freelists means by that and I haven't had any >>>> time
            to really dig down and investigate it. Maybe it should
            point to >>>> Richard's site--it's got to be the most
            complete (not to mention >>>> safety-oriented) site out
            there. >>>> --Steve >>>> >>>> >>>> On 02/09/2015 09:17
            AM, Richard Nakka wrote: >>>>> Steve, >>>>> Just
            wondering, how many people are currently on this new
            list? I was >>>>> under the impression that the 'whole
            group' from SugPro was on >>>>> it....guess I was wrong.
            I've also been wondering how may people are >>>>> still
            active in sugar rocketry. I've been particularly active
            the past >>>>> 6 months or so, immensely enjoying
            building and launching KNSB >>>>> powered rockets. >>>>>
            9, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Steve Peterson >>>>>
            <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote: >>>>>> As
            the moderator and re-creator of the list, I did once
            consider trying >>>>>> to >>>>>> contact everyone on the
            old list but I wasn't able to scavenge enough >>>>>>
            email >>>>>> addresses from the old list's archive to
            make it worth the effort. I >>>>>> still >>>>>> hope that
            people will pass the word along and we'll get most of the
            old >>>>>> members back. However, I have to say that I'm
            beginning to wonder just >>>>>> how >>>>>> many people
            are still active with sugar propellants (or even rocketry
            in >>>>>> general). >>>>>> >>>>>> --Steve >>>>>> >>>>>>
            On 02/09/2015 07:59 AM, Kenneth Irving wrote: >>>>>>
> [...]
            recreated but the >>>>>> users >>>>>> weren't told or
            weren't included by default in the new list. That >>>>>>
            would've >>>>>> simplified everything. A long time has
            passed and the community has been >>>>>> lost. I hope it
            can be recreated. >>>>>> >>>>>> best regards >>>>>>
            Kenneth >>>>>> >>>>>> 2015-02-09 13:14 GMT-02:00 Michael
            Monteith >>>>>> <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>: >>>>>>> Looks like
            the old list is gone. I think the biggest problem is
            people >>>>>>> don't know how to find this list. If this
            works maybe I can send to >>>>>>> people >>>>>>> I know
            and pass the word around. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Michael
            Monteith >>>>>>> >>>> >>