[sugpro] Re: Hope I found everyone

  • From: Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:31:59 -0800

My feeling is that we don't want to do multiple mailings to anyone, so if people have extensive personal archives, it would be best if we were able to merge the lists prior to the first mailing (to weed out duplicates). Shawn, would you be willing to accept lists from people and do that merge with your spreadsheet?

The next task would be to find a way to send a message to lots of recipients without having to cut and paste the addresses into a GUI-based mailer. I don't have access to a batch mailer, so it would probably have to be someone else. I'm happy to provide the text of the email--it would be similar to what I first sent out to a few folks when I created this list.

--Steve

On 02/09/2015 04:21 PM, Bruce Beck wrote:
I have many issues going back to 12-07

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Kenneth Irving <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    That can be of great help. How should we proceed? Any suggestions?

    <mailto:shawn.mchatten@xxxxxxxxxxx>>:

        I kept all 6800 messages from when I joined back on Feb 12, 2009.
Coincidence or what. I've culled the 700 messages or so from the last year and
a half, from Jan 1, 2012 to mid June 2013 when the list shut down. There were
around 100 contributors in those 700 messages that I can drag the email
addresses out of if that would help. It will only be those that actually posted
but might be a start.

        Shawn
        On 2015-02-09 16:06, Steve Peterson wrote: > As I said, I did
        look through the archive for the old list but the > problem
        was that the list had been so erratic for so many months that
        > the only archive that remained online only had posts by a
        few > individuals. IIRC, there had been some problem switching
        over from an > old server and the really old (and really
        useful) archive was no > longer available. Now I see that even
        the archive that I looked > through is no longer online (not
        surprising, I guess). Dave McCue, if > you can reach him,
        *might* have some old stuff lying around, but I > wouldn't
        hold out much hope. > > --Steve > > > On 02/09/2015 12:15 PM,
        Richard Nakka wrote: >> Dave McCue, former SugPro list
        moderator, may have those files. >> >> >> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015
        at 1:19 PM, Kenneth Irving <kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:kenneth.irving@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote: >>> What happened to
        the old list files? Are they still available somewhere? >>>
        Because maybe it could be useful to scrub all the emails from
        it and send >>> invitations to the former subscribers to join
        the new list, in case they are >>> interested. I can help with
        that, but I'd need access to the old list files. >>> >>>
        <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>: >>>> Only a couple of
        dozen people have subscribed. I'm sure the link will >>>>
        help...as will Michael's effort. I'm a noob at list moderation
        and only >>>> "signed up" to do this because no one else was
        making any visible effort to >>>> get the list going again. As
        for Michael's question about the Freelists >>>> "webpage", I
        have no idea what Freelists means by that and I haven't had
        any >>>> time to really dig down and investigate it. Maybe it
        should point to >>>> Richard's site--it's got to be the most
        complete (not to mention >>>> safety-oriented) site out there.
        Nakka wrote: >>>>> Steve, >>>>> Just wondering, how many
        people are currently on this new list? I was >>>>> under the
        impression that the 'whole group' from SugPro was on >>>>>
        it....guess I was wrong. I've also been wondering how may
        people are >>>>> still active in sugar rocketry. I've been
        particularly active the past >>>>> 6 months or so, immensely
        enjoying building and launching KNSB >>>>> powered rockets.
        2015 at 10:31 AM, Steve Peterson >>>>>
        <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote: >>>>>> As the
        moderator and re-creator of the list, I did once consider
        trying >>>>>> to >>>>>> contact everyone on the old list but I
        wasn't able to scavenge enough >>>>>> email >>>>>> addresses
        from the old list's archive to make it worth the effort. I
        and we'll get most of the old >>>>>> members back. However, I
        have to say that I'm beginning to wonder just >>>>>> how
        even rocketry in >>>>>> general). >>>>>> >>>>>> --Steve >>>>>>
        recreated but the >>>>>> users >>>>>> weren't told or weren't
        included by default in the new list. That >>>>>> would've
        community has been >>>>>> lost. I hope it can be recreated.
        <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>: >>>>>>> Looks like the
        old list is gone. I think the biggest problem is people
        I can send to >>>>>>> people >>>>>>> I know and pass the word
        around. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Michael Monteith >>>>>>> >>>> >>