[SI-LIST] Re: anti-resonance point when use Embedded Capacitance Material

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 03:45:03 -0700

Bruce, if the discrete PDN to PCB power cavity resonance occurs well
above the PCB to IC package cut-off, then the internal power of the IC
will not be substantially affected by the discrete PDN to PCB power
cavity resonance.

The biggest improvement from thin dielectrics is reduction in L. That is
what lets us get rid of discrete capacitors on the PCB. For Farads per
dollar it's hard to beat an MLCC capacitor.  All the Farads in the world
don't help if the charge can't get to the load because of loop inductance.

Steve.
On 5/11/2013 3:15 AM, Bruce wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> Good suggestion.
> Actually. It's not so easy to get enough information from IC vendor.
>
> In my case, the anti-resonance point is higher than 100M. And I read the
> book from Eric. Could I ignore the high frequency peak?
> In other projects with Intel and Qualcomm Chipset. I just only care about
> the PDN impedance below 100M( Sometimes is below 20M)
>
> If so. My confuse is the reason to choose Embedded Capacitance Material. ECM
> are more works well in higher frequency.
>
> I read all the answer carefully. But maybe Power integrity is much more
> controversial topic.
> I know a whole simulation from Chip to Chip is always a good choice. But the
> model is also always a problem.
>
> So in my case. Maybe evaluating in the lab is the final solution. Am I
> right?
>
> Best Regards,
> Bruce Wu
>
> Bruce determining acceptable impedance vs frequency for a PDN is the first
> and most important design step.  While it is often difficult to get
> information from IC suppliers there is no good substitute for this
> step no matter what is needed to take care of it:
>
> * Very conservative design, What is conservative enough?
> |--- Plan on evaluating in the lab and hope you have enough flexibility
> to make any needed adjustments.
> * Measurement of key ICs in advance
> * Beat on the IC suppliers until they supply needed data
>
> Steve.

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: