[ SHOWGSD-L ] coyotes

  • From: "irrenhaus4" <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:35:30 -0800

I live in a neighborhood divided from one of the original ranches.  All in this
area have at least an acre, and the houses are not close together.
Coyotes are heard often at night.  We see them often in some of the
pastureland. They have their uses: they catch mice and gophers better than any
cat. (They also catch cats, unfortunately.) There is plenty of food for them,
and they do not threaten our confined dogs and other pets in any way.

When I lived in the hills in Hollywood many years ago, the coyotes had adapted
to the increase in population.  They robbed trash cans and caught small, loose
pets. They were very bold and were seen at any time of day or night.  I
understand it is still this way in the Hollywood Hills.

Recently a friend of mine who often walks in remote areas was stalked by a
mountain lion.  Now, THAT to me is much more scary than a coyote. She carries a
small handgun, and actually had to fire it when the lion got too close.  Doris