[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: coyotes

  • From: RegalShelt1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:37:57 EST

Yes we live in NY also and had one encounter my husband WILL never
forget,,this happened last year around this time,,prime breeding season for
these
coyotes so the DEC tells us..We had seen what I thought were just dogs  prints
around the vehicles and the front of the house and all the way around the  dogs
play yard,,so we assumed it was just a stray dog that we haven't  seen..
Needless to say at that time husband worked days and leaves the house  around
4 am,,he gets out the front door and just about 15-20 ft from the door
something made him look up and there was a coyote standing right behind my
truck,,normally the DEC says that they usually run away but this one didn't,,my

husband immediatly stopped where he was and just stood there for a moment,,he
figured if he yelled and screamed at it shaking his thermos it would take
off,,well guess what,,you got it, it didn't... that darn thing howled at  him,
he
couldn't beleive the noise just one of those made,,Well my husband  decided to
take a few steps backwards to the door and fumbling for his keys as  he locked
the door when he left and it took 2 steps towards him cutting across  the
front lawn at him,,fortunatly the coyote stopped because it heard the dogs
barking,,of all times we want them to bark my daughter didn't know what was
going
on so she told them to ssshhhh quiet. Although getting to the door the  coyote
decided to wonder away but only to the middle of the driveway..giving  enough
room to get to his car...Well you think this thing would  leave,,NOPE>>>>
After sitting in his vehicle warming it up because the window was fogged he
figured it took off..Well he's ready to leave turns on his headlights and
guess  what was standing right in front of his car,,and right after he turned
his
light  on he howled again,,now my husband is thinking he's calling for another
one  because it didn't go away.
When he put the car in drive it decided to wonder to the apron of the
driveway give 1 more howl stand under the street light and then finnaly
wondered
away

Now thru all this I never heard the dogs bark ,I actually slept thru the
whole thing...

The local DEC said that normal coyote run as soon as they see humans,,they
thought it had mange until I mentioned that my one sheltie bitch was in heat,
And they said that something had to be wrong with it, NO!!  it didn't  help
the situation but for it to do what it exihibited by not going away  from my
husband. Was not normal behavior. They will stalk the property when a  bitch is
in heat but not exhibit what this coyote did by not going away..Anyhow  we live
in a town where you are allowed to discharge a firearm for target  practice
and in cases like this..But we are only allowed to dischagre a 22. So  they
local DEC advised we may want to get one. I don't like guns but if it came
near
anyone of us or the dogs I would definitly take care of it..
Needless to say we haven't seen one yet,,no tracks yet,,and my one sheltie
bitch came out of heat just before coyote mating season started, which if
anybody's interested FYI  the mating season from what the DEC said is from  the
middle of Feb. to the middle of March..
I surely never want to encounter what my husband encountered,..

Deanna

Regal Shelties
Cambria, NY  14108
www.geocities.com/regalshelties
He is your friend, your partner, your defender,  your dog. You are his life,
his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and  true, to the last beat
of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such  devotion. ~Anonymous~