[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: coyotes

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:59:52 EST

In a message dated 2/19/2005 10:32:42 AM Central Standard Time,
Danannkennel@xxxxxxx writes:
Don't feel to comfortable I live in Central Illinois - we have tornadoes,
blizzards and coyotes- they have also been sighted in the Chicago suburbs
---------------------------------
I've lived in a relatively rural area in Illinois for 23 years, about thirty
miles southwest of St. Louis, MO ... and I've seen plenty coyotes here over
the past ten years or so.  I never saw one before that.  I often hear them
screaming, yapping, and howling in the distance, but while the dogs tend to
join
in, they seem to stay away from our yard.  I suspect they're not interested in
meeting up with five adult GSDs. <G>  In this part of the country, coyotes
generally do not run in packs.  They normally feed on rabbits and mice, so
groups
of more than two or three would make that more difficult.  As I understand it,
they do run in packs in the west, where they feed on large prey like elk
(hence the need to run in packs.)  Coyotes generally weigh less than 40 pounds,
so
individually, or even in groups of two or three, they aren't that dangerous
to people or large dogs ... and they are smart enough, or spooky enough, to
stay clear.
Just a note .. According to what I've read, Coyotes were rare in Illinois
before the mid 1800s and there was a big population increase in the 1970s.  If
urban sprawl had any effect, it was good for them.

Tom Langlitz