[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Professional Handlers

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:51:08 EST

_Rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   writes:
A loose lead actually takes the handler out of the picture altogether...
albeit a 5' or a 15' lead. It also solves any question as to backs, running
downhill, or pretty much anything else. When I mentor new Judges...I tell them
that seeing the dog on a loose lead is truly next to the most important thing
about judging this breed...temperament being the 1st.

Ohh.... but is asking for a loose lead enough?  I have seen loose  leads
where the dog is running like a maniac and the handler is running just as  fast
behind it with a slack lead.  I don't know that if I was a judge this  would be
enough.  I would want to see the dog on a loose lead at a  reasonable speed -
not walking but not running at a maniac speed.  Take a  look at some of the
dogs in the national video - the handlers make a point of  showing some slack
on
the leash but the dogs are racing (and I mean really  racing) as fast as they
can around the ring - the only difference is that the  handler has learned to
run very fast and can keep up with the race.  Is  that how we want to see our
dogs shown?  I really would like to know the  Listers' opinions.

DK