[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Professional Handlers

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:14:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi Kathy...I spoke in general terms...and I will back track just a little...not
every conformation breeder is breeding bad dogs, I would guess that most are
not, but too many are....I don't want to see this breed get too far away from
being the kind of hero dog that I believed it to be when I was a kid.....or
maybe I'm just going through the "change " of life..I was grumpy
yesterday...now its time to deal with the anti social GSD nutcase in my back
yard.....life is hard, and then you die.....Ed
Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx wrote:        In a message dated 1/10/2006 7:12:27 P.M.
Pacific Standard Time, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  chase bad guys, herd farmer John's sheep, lead my blind ex-wife.....oh
no...we breed ( conformation breeders) to have that dog run around the ring
looking for us

  Ed,
  I feel your frustration on this issue, but PLEASE do not speak for all
breeders , many of us are breeding for the total GSD, dogs that do protect
instead of cowering when a judge walks up, dogs that would make xint guide or
therapy dogs, dogs that have strong herding instinct.  We too, get tired of
dogs bred for the ALMIGHTY sidegait, at the complete sacrifice of a brain, a
work ethic, breedtype and true athleticism.
      Do we breed to win?  Sure, we like a nice win as much as the next.  But
when we breed we are breeding for EXCEPTIONAL GSDs, not for "show dogs" .  We
breed and get dogs that can go all day , and WANT TO,  dogs with "not afraid of
the devil" temperament, dogs that are correct, and ATHLETIC, that can do
anything called upon their owners to do.  We breed for dogs that can do
anything called upon it to do, and do so with a gleam in their eyes, and full
throttle.
  Yes Ed, some breeders do only breed for the win, or for rear, or for
sidegait.  They end up in many cases with quivering messes, that have NO work
ethic, no real athleticism, no BRAINS, that are viewed as freaks of nature by
the general populous.    It is maddening to people like us, and I know there
are many, that really ARE trying to breed good dogs, good GSDs.

  We feel it is because of these breeding standards that our dogs win......in
all venues.
  And yes Ed, I GUARANTEE our dogs will chase and vanquish a Bad Guy, and in
the same day be a loving companion to a disabled child....no question.
  Your friend always
  Kathy

  WEBSITE UPDATED: NOV 29, 2005
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
VICTORY GSDs, There Is Something In A Name