[ SHOWGSD-L ] Professional Handlers

  • From: MASSTANA@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:49:13 EST

In a message dated 1/9/2006 10:38:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Lealynn@xxxxxxx writes:
> If I had my way....all dogs would be judged without a handler <G>

My reaction to the above is the same as it has been every time this is
brought up.  The good handlers get (most often) the best dogs.  They show a
good dog
to the absolute best the dog can be shown and if it wins because it is the
best dog in the ring (according to the judge) then it wins deservedly.  When
you
have two dogs of equal quality, one shown by an expert and one by a novice
who can't control their dog, guess who wins.  And don't stand outside the ring
and mumble to everyone in sight, "this is a handlers judge!"   Handlers want to
handle the best dogs.  It makes them look good.  By definition, therefore,
when you see handlers going up, it is because, most often than not, they have
the best dogs.  Of course this is not always true.  I really believe there are
number of people on this list who think if a top handler wins a class or the
points then the judge must be "weak" or stupid or, simply, not competent.  Of
course many times it is true but not the majority.  If so then we have nobody
else to blame but ourselves for nominating those judges to do our shows.

At any rate, we have to have handlers.  With one artificial hip already and
another yet to be done I can't move my dogs more than once or twice around the
ring (and a small ring at that!).  I used to love to show our own dogs.  There
are many on this list (in fact, probably the majority) who simply couldn't
compete if there were no handlers.  Obviously there are some on this list who
would welcome our inability to compete personally if there were no handlers.
But that is not going to happen.  As we all know, this same topic comes up time
after time and the conclusion is always the same.  We are going to have
handlers and the top handlers will always get their share of the top dogs and
the
wins.  The moral of this story is if you have a really good dog and you want it
to show it's best, hire a pro!  Also, if you have a good, but not great, dog,
hire a pro to get the most out of your dog.  And if you are still able to
handle your own dog, then train it and take it in.  But don't expect to win
simply
because you have a good dog.  It has to "show" the judge that it is the best
dog.  And if you can do it yourself, all the more power to you.
Peace.
John V