[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:59:05 -0400

On Friday, August 12, 2005, at 07:42 AM, Neil Gould wrote:

Ummm.... what does Photoshop Elements offer that, say, Photoshop 6 does
not? What features of Photoshop 7 make Photoshop 6 undesirable?

I chose Photoshop Elements 3.0 for the book because it is so much easier to learn, not for specific features. But the browser is a very important tool. Photoshop 6 was so long ago for me that I no longer remember what it had/didn't have. If you use Photoshop rather than elements, CS is the one to have. CS2 still has issues for a lot of people, me included, so I am reserving recommendation on it until they finish their debugging.

[...]
Also, ditch the Windoze crap and get a real computer.  We did  a lot
of
soul searching and research on that book project and ended up deciding
to base it on Mac.  I have both Windoze and Mac computers, and would
not dream of trying to run Photoshop on Windoze.  They just don't like
each other.  The folks at Adobe all use Mac, and that should tell you
something.

"The folks at Adobe..." will tell you that there is no functional
difference between their apps on a Mac vs. their apps under Windows. And,
there isn't.

Actually that is not true. The folks I know at Adobe are the software engineers who actually build the program. They would not say something that stupid. Fundamentally, Windows lacks color management capability that is essential to WYSIWYG Photoshop work.

I have run Photoshop under Windows *daily* since version 3,
and have *no* difficulties whatsoever that are attributable to the
hardware. The simple fact is that Photoshop is a resource-intensive
application, and this means that a system -- any system -- needs to be
capable of providing those resources. Either system will give you problems
with large scans if you don't optimize them for the task, and either
system can run problem-free for years if you do so. There is no
justification for platform prejudice in the use of Photoshop.

I disagree. I have Photoshop CS on both Mac and Windows platforms, and work with both. I've run Photoshop on Windows since 1993, and got my first Mac in 1994, and my eyes were opened! I only keep a Windows box because I need to be able to run on both platforms to review software for magazines. Windows is just a poorly executed knockoff of Mac OS.

Given what he has written so far, Marc's problem is not likely to be
system-related, including his use of Photoshop 5. I don't think it's very
responsible to send him off with the notion that his problems will be over
if he buys more or different products. Good results (within the
constraints of his system, for example scanning resolution as Chris Brown
pointed out) should be obtainable with what Marc already has. Let's not
forget that this work was done for *decades* prior to the release of the
"latest and greatest" equipment and software!

Marc can learn using outmoded stuff if he wants. But that adds an extra layer of unnecessary difficulty. If he didn't get a free copy of Photoshop Elements 3.0 with something he bought he should pick up a copy. It's no more costly than some rolls of film.

But first he should make the best possible scan with his scanner and send it to someone who does this all the time to determine if he is getting workable scans. GIGO, you know.

Bob