[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:06:07 -0400

Thanks, guys, for all the kind suggestions and assistance.  I certainly
will consider taking a course or picking up some literature.

Several points:

I am having the identical problems with digital images taken with a digital
p&s and with scanned slides, so I doubt if the scanner is at fault.  And I
am having identical woes with Photoshop 5, Adobe Photodeluxe Business
Edition 1, and Arcsoft Photoprinter 2.  I get better results from Irfanview
3.91 but for some reason the resulting images will not print.

Second, I have no intention on upgrading anything as I am not a
professional able to justify the expense.  And it would be a terrible
blunder on my part to invest any more money in either hardware or software
until I can obtain decent results from what I have.  Part of my grave
wariness with digital is that need to invest $15,000 or so every six months
to keep up with the Joneses.  Once I understand what I do have, I'll worry
about upgrading but not at the moment.

Third, I am not seeking large prints or top-quality prints, just decent
prints.  My experience over the past eight months has been trather hit or
miss but I am now enountering absolute failure and it is quite frustrating.

Finally, I mis-spoke in my original message of yester-even.  I meant to
write "dodge" tool and not crop tool.  This is one example of my
frustration:  I have a countre-jour shot of my son and grandson.  I would
like to lighten up their faces.  In the darkroom, this would be a simple
matter of some minimal dodging.  In Photoshop 5, I can use the dodge tool
to indicate the area I wish to lighten but I cannot discover HOW to lighten
this area:  if I try to use the standard image adjustment menu, it just
adjusts the entire image.  And, again, Photoshop help is inherently worthless.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505