[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:42:49 -0500

Recently, you wrote:

> From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Absolutely.  Photoshop 5.0 is dark ages stuff. Photoshop 7 is about
> the oldest version that is well equipped.

[...]
> I just wrote a book on this, finished it in June.  We talked a lot
> about which version of Photoshop to include in the book and we settled
> on Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Ummm.... what does Photoshop Elements offer that, say, Photoshop 6 does
not? What features of Photoshop 7 make Photoshop 6 undesirable?

[...]
> Also, ditch the Windoze crap and get a real computer.  We did  a lot
> of
> soul searching and research on that book project and ended up deciding
> to base it on Mac.  I have both Windoze and Mac computers, and would
> not dream of trying to run Photoshop on Windoze.  They just don't like
> each other.  The folks at Adobe all use Mac, and that should tell you
> something.

"The folks at Adobe..." will tell you that there is no functional
difference between their apps on a Mac vs. their apps under Windows. And,
there isn't. I have run Photoshop under Windows *daily* since version 3,
and have *no* difficulties whatsoever that are attributable to the
hardware. The simple fact is that Photoshop is a resource-intensive
application, and this means that a system -- any system -- needs to be
capable of providing those resources. Either system will give you problems
with large scans if you don't optimize them for the task, and either
system can run problem-free for years if you do so. There is no
justification for platform prejudice in the use of Photoshop.

Given what he has written so far, Marc's problem is not likely to be
system-related, including his use of Photoshop 5. I don't think it's very
responsible to send him off with the notion that his problems will be over
if he buys more or different products. Good results (within the
constraints of his system, for example scanning resolution as Chris Brown
pointed out) should be obtainable with what Marc already has. Let's not
forget that this work was done for *decades* prior to the release of the
"latest and greatest" equipment and software!

Regards,

Neil