[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:27:07 -0400

Y'all please pardon me while I go off topic a wee bit. And please excuse the cross-posting.

You know, I use digital all the time, and like it fine as far as it goes. A few months back, I was able to scan some of my negatives and slides on an Epson 4870 flatbed with transparency unit, which is capable of something like 2400 dpi (I believe that's the number anyway). Not a drum scanner, but worlds better than my light-box-and- digital-p&s arrangement at home.

I made a couple of dozen scans from Rollei TLR negatives, took them home, started playing around - levels, curves, burning in the corners, perhaps a touch of unsharp masking, etc. After a few of these I realized that although the objective quality of prints made from these digital files may be equal to, or better than, what I could achieve optically (especially for color materials), I derived no pleasure from the process. Not less, none whatsoever. I find that I miss the tactile part of the printing process in a way that makes the digital production of prints seem a wholly soulless enterprise. No way is digital printing going to take the place of silver gelatin in my book. I guess maybe it's the same reason I make music by blowing air through a wooden tube with holes cut in the sides, instead of using a more sensible up-to-the-minute digital instrument that never plays out of tune or needs a new reed. Even though I use, and even teach, electronic and computer music techniques. Everything in its place. I love the aspect of digital that lets us all share photos with friends around the world, but many of my favorites just don't work as 4" square photos on a low-detail computer monitor.

I don't really recall whether I had a point to make before I took that prescription cough syrup, but maybe I should just end this message. There are only so many bytes in the world.

Best wishes,
Aaron

On Aug 10, 2005, at 9:15 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

Any thougths? Or should I finish off my chemical darkroom and do things I
understand?