[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:40:08 -0400

On Aug 11, 2005, at 1:06 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

In Photoshop 5, I can use the dodge tool
to indicate the area I wish to lighten but I cannot discover HOW to lighten
this area: if I try to use the standard image adjustment menu, it just
adjusts the entire image.

Hmm. Is it possible that you have more than one layer in your photograph? When you have multiple layers, the dodge tool will only affect the layer currently selected. You can dodge and dodge and nothing seems to happen if the layer selected is transparent or underneath another layer. I have made that mistake lots of times.

Or, is it possible that you scanned the photo at 16-bit color depth? Older versions of Photoshop only allowed the most minimal editing until the photo was converted to 8-bit color depth.

And, again, Photoshop help is inherently worthless.

No argument there.

-Aaron