[rollei_list] Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, idcc@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:15:15 -0400

My wife and I visited Alaska in late June and early July.  I ended up with
about 80 digital shots on a Rollei 3.1 digital P&S and two rolls of Kodak
E100 and one roll of Kodachrome 64 shot with a Leica M6.

I have struggled for five weeks with Photoshop 5 and an Epson 1200 scanner
and I am about ready to abandon digital completely.  I have spent 30 or 40
hours fighting with this, and perhaps more, and, to date, I do not have a
printable shot.  All I have is junk.  I am probably doing something wrong,
as the rest of you seem to find digital work a seamless matter of success,
but I am exceedingly frustrated.

Were I to set my chemical darkrom up again, I could have printed ALL of the
113 slides I got (not that I would have done so:  Alaska is full of
interesting scenery but after a while the shots become boring) in
Ilfochrome in about 15 or 18 hours.  As it is, I can scan a slide at 1200.
Beyond that, I am lost.  Photoshop 5 Help is worthless or less:  I know HOW
to crop an item but, once cropped, how do you process the cropped image?

You guys all seem to have made a seamless transition to digital.  What in
the world am I doing wrong?  I am frustrated to the point where I am
seriously contemplating taking a large lead weight and smashing the hell
out of both my scanner and my Rollei Digital.  Screw it:  chemistry I
understand but this digital stuff:  oy vey!

And do NOT do that awful Math Teacher trick of asking me "please define
your problem precisely".  That line of query is just why I do not know much
math beyond really basic calculus.  I need very general help.  You guys
have made the transition and I thought I was doing things properly but, in
the end, I am lost and am now at sea in a rapidly leaking boat.

Any thougths?  Or should I finish off my chemical darkroom and do things I
understand?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!