[rollei_list] Re: Retro: Back to the Past!

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:53:04 -0700

I think that you Jerry need, that's right need, not just want a new computer.
Frankly, I'd be willing to trade a new mac for that 9x9 Roll-eye you've been hoarding.
All kidding aside, I'm willing to throw $50 into the pot for a new (er) computer for Jerry.
It's a shame that after living such a rich experiential life, something as small as a computer should stifle you now.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8, AGCC
http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Aug 10, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Marc, Marc, Marc,

Even in my small village there are adult education courses in Photoshop.
The camera shops have a vested interest in making people facile with
Photoshop.

Unfortunately I cannot take advantage of it, as my Windows 3.1 computer
with 16 meg of RAM cannot handle it.. Retirement and Social Security
warrants that I cannot upgrade; so I don't. You would not believe what
my medical bill was, beyond what Medicare would pay!

Jerry

Marc James Small wrote:

My wife and I visited Alaska in late June and early July. I ended up with
about 80 digital shots on a Rollei 3.1 digital P&S and two rolls of Kodak
E100 and one roll of Kodachrome 64 shot with a Leica M6.

I have struggled for five weeks with Photoshop 5 and an Epson 1200 scanner
and I am about ready to abandon digital completely. I have spent 30 or 40
hours fighting with this, and perhaps more, and, to date, I do not have a
printable shot. All I have is junk. I am probably doing something wrong,
as the rest of you seem to find digital work a seamless matter of success,
but I am exceedingly frustrated.

Were I to set my chemical darkrom up again, I could have printed ALL of the
113 slides I got (not that I would have done so: Alaska is full of
interesting scenery but after a while the shots become boring) in
Ilfochrome in about 15 or 18 hours. As it is, I can scan a slide at 1200.
Beyond that, I am lost. Photoshop 5 Help is worthless or less: I know HOW
to crop an item but, once cropped, how do you process the cropped image?

You guys all seem to have made a seamless transition to digital. What in
the world am I doing wrong? I am frustrated to the point where I am
seriously contemplating taking a large lead weight and smashing the hell
out of both my scanner and my Rollei Digital. Screw it: chemistry I
understand but this digital stuff: oy vey!

And do NOT do that awful Math Teacher trick of asking me "please define
your problem precisely". That line of query is just why I do not know much
math beyond really basic calculus. I need very general help. You guys
have made the transition and I thought I was doing things properly but, in
the end, I am lost and am now at sea in a rapidly leaking boat.

Any thougths? Or should I finish off my chemical darkroom and do things I
understand?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!