[rollei_list] Re: [OT] film vs digital

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:53:40 -0400

I think a more plausible explanation is the rarity of the print, not
its artistic merits. There are three major printings of that image,
and some are much more scarce than others. You won't get a roomful of
Adams scholars to agree on which is more beautiful...

Eric Goldstein

--

On 7/24/07, Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Last October Sotheby's NYC sold a  "Moonrise,
Hernandez, New Mexico" rare print by Ansel Adams for
$609,600, the price for some previous auctions about
the picture did not reach $100,000.  The price
difference happened because for the last auction the
image composition was improved , the moon got a
strange bright and an UFO appeared as rising from the
distant mountains, suddenly  a subtle mist covered the
little town adding more grays for the tonal range and
there was a slight correction for the original
exposure, Ansel only resurrected to sign the new print
and it reached $609,600.
Other auction site sold a B&W print about an enormous
castle made from toothpicks, it was curious the fact
they could sell the B&W print but they couldn't sell
the real castle made from toothpicks because there was
no interest, it seems only the print was considered
valuable art because the photographer captured the
toothpicks tonal variations very well and the print
texture was impressive thanks to the moderated grain;
looking the real castle made from toothpicks you can
see the true masterpiece is the real castle, but it
looked more impressive in the print due to the means
used to reproduce the castle.
Art, an art masterpiece are terms wide too much to
write about them in depth in a mail list dedicated to
Rollei cameras and chemical photography (at least I
think it), sometimes there are interpretations quick
and light too much .

Carlos