[rollei_list] Re: [OT] film vs digital

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:45:09 -0400

One of my favorite vinyl lps is Rostropovich playing the Dvorak cello concerto. It is THE record I would take to the proverbial desert island if I could only take one. I'd leave the CD remake of it at home. The vinyl is heavenly; the CD, so so.

Doug

On Jul 20, 2007, at 8:14 PM, Peter K. wrote:

Agreed. What I meant was what will be the dominant media. The only
interesting fact is that B&W film still sells fairly well. But color
is a slow dying media. There are benefits to each, much like there are
benefits to having vinyl LPs and CDs.

Peter K

On 7/20/07, Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know what "winning out" means. If you mean what will dominate
the mass market, then the answer is obvious. I have no interest
(except a professional one) in what dominates the mass market... that
is the ordinary, the "unit normal" as it were, and not the best or the
exceptional, which film and vinyl are and will continue to be...

Eric Goldstein

--

On 7/20/07, Gene Johnson <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In terms of "winning out".  That news is already in :)  But oddly,
> strangely, I find I can continue shooting film, and playing in my
> darkroom, and making photographs the old-skool-way just like I always
> did.  As Cartman says: "I'll do what I want!"
>
> On 7/20/07, Peter K. <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, there is room for both. To me its more like vinyl LPs v. CDs. > > There is always room for both, but one will eventually win out and it
> > won't be film.
> >
> > Peter K
> >
> > On 7/19/07, iusar4s@xxxxxxxx <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >

> > > Comparing film to digital is like comparing the NY Philharmonic to a state > > > of the art rock synthesizer. One is cheaper, faster, and more convenient;
> > > the other is high art.
> > >
> > > Peter Nebergall
> >

> > --
> > Peter K