[rollei_list] Re: [OT] film vs digital

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:24:19 -0400

It speaks well of you that you do both and are willing to try the darkroom. I know what you mean about how the darkroom influences how you shoot. My experience has been that the darkroom has taught me that if I don't pay attention to how I am shooting, I will make things difficult when I come to make my prints. I develop my own film in order to get consistency in my product. If I take it to a lab, I have no idea how they will develop the film. It can vary from one lab tech to the next.

I think both film and digital are valid. Digital is here to stay for the moment. Something will replace it, but it won't be film. When I retire, I'll have the time to learn Photoshop. I don't have enough time at the moment, though I do love sending photos over the internet.

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Doug

On Jul 22, 2007, at 9:57 PM, ERoustom wrote:

My first two days in my darkroom have me gleefully puzzled. There is so much to learn, and it will be a while before I'm comfortably making the all those connections from behind the lens to in front of the fix bath. It makes scanning negatives seem easy and fast. Peter's simile is so apt. Gaining skill, intellectual, physical and technical, and truly learning to be patient is what film photography (that goes the full cycle from click to print) is all about. It's a medium, and a discipline. My thinking about how I use my camera(s) what films I choose, has changed completely since the darkroom (and my underdeveloped film) humbled me this weekend. Maybe film and digital shouldn't be compared. It's clear to me now that they do different things, and demand different approaches.

Elias

On Jul 21, 2007, at 3:06 PM, J Patric Dahlén wrote:

 Peter Nebergall wrote:
Comparing film to digital is like comparing the NY Philharmonic to a state
> of the art rock synthesizer. One is cheaper, faster, and more convenient;
> the other is high art.

Very well said, Peter!

I own a digital compact camera, but I don't like to use it to take photos of my loved ones... Instead I use it for fast documentation and when I need photos of something to show on the internet/send with email...

There are more feelings involved when I use my cameras for film, and work in the darkroom. Then I feel creative. I can always digitalize film/prints when I want or need to. Digital has it's place, of course, even for me.

/Patric

Trött på att pendla? - Sök jobb där du bor! http://jobb.msn.monster.se/