[rollei_list] Re: [OT] film vs digital

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:18:02 -0500

Hi all,

> From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:35:48 +0100
>
> They are very much different but, IMHO, not as different as, for =20
> example oils versus acrylic paint, and certainly either of these =20
> compared to watercolour.

I disagree, and think that this analogy is probably more appropriate than
otherwise. The differences between oils, acrylic paint, and watercolor are
largely found in texture and color gamut. Depending on the intentions of
the artist, the characteristics of these techniques can have an obvious or
subtle impact on the image. It is the manipulation of the artist that
exploits the material to achieve the intended image. For the most part,
the range of options and consequently the range of expression is broader
with film media than with digital technology, another reason this analogy
holds up.

> I processed my own film all my photographic life. I have had a =20
> darkroom in my house most of the last 45 years. I still take =20
> photographs on film for fun - but for me the whole enlarge and =20
> develop process - which is a technical skill I felt I was still =20
> improving even after so long - particularly "mastering" the tiny =20
> dynamic range and extreme contrast of Cibachrome - was hard work and
> very time consuming.

Creating artwork with oils, acrylics, and watercolor is also hard work and
very time consuming!  ;-)

> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:00:09 +0100
>
> Grain is indeed a feature of film, and can either add character or =20
> ruin a photograph, depending on intentions.

Is not control of the media to achieve one's intentions an indication of
skill?

Regards,

Neil