[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:02:31 +1200

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 20:42 -0700, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 16:57 -0700, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> >> Draft número tres, muy expandida:
> >>
> >> Weaponmastery bonuses are replaced by Grand Weaponmastery bonuses, not
> >> added cumulatively (cf. Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28).
> >>
> >> It seems odd that the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery
> >> with Bow only allows you to add 3 to numbers picked from the Random
> >> Number Table when using a Bow.
> >
> > The above sentence is superfluous - its repeated at the end of the
> > paragraph.
>
> Hmm. How about this:
>
> There seems to be an inconsistency with the Grand Weaponmastery bonus
> for numbers picked from the Random Number Table when using a Bow. If
> you have completed previous adventures, already possess the Magnakai
> Discipline of Weaponmastery with Bow, and have reached the rank of
> Mentora, it seems that you should be able to add 5 to numbers picked
> from the Random Number Table (i.e. the basic Weaponmastery with Bow
> bonus of 3 added to the Mentora bonus of 2 for all missile weapons).
> This is actually higher than the Grand Weaponmastery bonus of 3. It
> seems odd that Grand Weaponmastery has a lower bonus than
> Weaponmastery.

that reads better to me.

> >>  If you have completed previous
> >> adventures, already possess the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery
> >> with Bow, and have reached the rank of Mentora, it seems that you
> >> should already be able to add 5 to numbers picked from the Random
> >> Number Table (i.e. the basic Weaponmastery with Bow bonus of 3
> >
> > +3 (to make it clearer)
>
> Tim was right to suggest we avoid the +X notation here. If you look
> through the books, that is only used (as far as I found) with CS or EP
> (e.g. +2 CS). For stylistic consistency when we're creating footnotes,
> we should stick to "bonus of X", "add X", etc.

Roger roger.

> >> The first is to assume that there is no inconsistency. As described,
> >> the Grand Master Discipline Deliverance also seems to lack a
> >> capability that its precursors Curing and Healing both had: the
> >> ability to cure 1 ENDURANCE point per non-combat section of the books.
> >> So there is a precedent for Grand Master Disciplines giving you less
> >> capabilities than previous Disciplines. If this is how you decide to
> >> handle this issue, the bonus of 5
> >> earned in earlier adventures is just
> >> another hidden loyalty bonus (cf. Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28).
> >>

> > gah. I would think if your recommending this approach the +3 WM-with-bow
> > bonus is the same as +3 GWM-with-bow c.f. CS bonus for WM vs CS bonus
> > for GWM ie they dont stack. The extra +2 would stack. It seems highly
> > unlikely the author wanted you to be adding +8 to every shot.
>
> Maybe we should make our intention clearer here: "... another hidden
> loyalty bonus (cf. Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28) which can be used
> instead of the Grand Weaponmastery bonus."

I like the clarification.

> >> . This would parallel the
> >> Grand Weaponmastery 5 point bonus to COMBAT SKILL for other weapons.
> >> This seems a little unlikely given that the author had ample
> >> opportunity to correct this mistake.
> >
> > And +5 to dice roll is a much more powerful bonus than shifting 2-3
> > columns on the Combat Results table in terms of success :)
>
> True though the same could be said of the parallel +3 Weaponmastery bonuses.
>
> >> As noted earlier, certain sections direct the reader to use different
> >> bonuses when using a Bow, ranging from 3 to 5, if you have Grand
> >> Weaponmastery with Bow. Depending on your feelings about the previous
> >> item, this may be the author adjusting the Grand Weaponmastery bonus
> >> on a case-by-case basis (and therefore this bonus should be used
> >> instead of the standard bonus), an error (and therefore all of these
> >> bonuses should match whatever you decide the Grand Weaponmastery bonus
> >> should be), or an additional bonus on top of the standard bonuses.
> >> Again, it is up to you to decide, but it seems most reasonable to
> >> follow the first option: to replace the Grand Weaponmastery bonus with
> >> whatever bonus is mentioned in that section.
> >>

> > Is this paragraph necessary?
> > Would it not be easier to say:
> > Project Aon recommends replacing the standing +3 bonus with the one
> > mentioned in the section, although if you feel like using your own bonus
> > then it is up to you to decide.
>
> The longer paragraph lays out some other (more or less) reasonable
> options, informing their choice.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

Or maybe the whole thing could be re-written :P
Project Aon recommends {blah}
depending on how you interpret the rules the following seem like logical
alternatives:
1) {blah}
2) {blah}
3) {blah}

That way people dont see a massive chunk of rules and get all "Too Long;
Didnt Read". Then again if they found that too long then they are
unlikely to read through the whole book anyway :)