[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:17:42 -0500

At 3:29 PM -0800 11/23/04, Dale Kelly wrote:
>GerryK wrote:
>>  another consideration that has not yet been mentioned is aesthetics -
>>  women hate wires,
>
>And, they hate multiple Remote Controls possibly even more, at least in my
>house.
>The remote control for our Samsung 50" DLP is very versatile and controls
>the rudimentary functions of several of our seven STB type devices but we
>can't seem to get by with less than four remotes. Certain buttons on the
>Samsung RC have multiple functions, depending on which box is under control,
>to my wife's unending frustration! We now have this somewhat under control
>after my writing a two page "how to" instruction set with several revision
>and by numbering the RCs to lessen the confusion.
>A true universal remote control is very desirable but clearly is not in the
>cards, therefore these Wiring and RC issues might make a functionally
>integrated TV set very attractive to many customers.

Legacy issues.

For the future, the correct solution is to have unified, networked
control of all devices and a common GUI platform for which
manufacturers can develop their control systems. We already have this
with virtually any device you can connect to a PC.

Some functions will likely have direct control buttons;

Volume
Channel UP/Down
Play/Stop/Pause etc.

Other functions may require using menus.