[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:37:21 -0400

At 3:17 PM -0800 11/10/04, John Willkie wrote:
>You mean that they can market a TV set that is DCR but not offer 8-VSB?
>Last time I checked, that was illegal in the U.S.  Maybe these are for the
>Canada market?

I think that John is correct. As I understand it the regime goes
something like this.

If an ATSC tuner is required (per the FCC schedule) then it must be
included. As Far as I know there is NO requirement to ALSO include a
cable tuner. In essence, if ANY tuner is included, then an ATSC tuner
must be included.

If a cable or DBS system (or any manufacturer for that matter) wants
to offer a cable or DBS STB, there is NO requirement that it must
also include an ATSC tuner.