[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:37:40 -0800

Craig wrote:
>But the cable industry fended off these requirements for years, and are
>only now >beginning to accept the notion of a TV with a digital cable tuner
>in it.

The inclusion of a digital "tuner" (cable Plug and Play feature) in DTV sets
was an Cable Industry initiative which required FCC approval and to my
knowledge was not pro forma. One quid pro quo for such approval was that an
ATSC tuner be included in such sets and these are the ATI tuners of which we
speak.
How the cable industry was brought to this initiative is of interest and I
have not heard that the FCC was involved.