[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:31:12 -0400

At 10:18 AM -0800 11/10/04, John Willkie wrote:
>List members might recall that a little over a month ago, I foreshadowed
>this development, and was challenged on it.  I said all one had to do was
>look around a bit.  (This article presents a list of companies that don't
>want to license IP from a competitor -- LG.)
>
>I should point out that these are larger firms than the ones I envisioned.
>Maybe I can assert that I was more right than I thought.
>
>John Willkie
>
>P.S.  I don't pay much attention to the CE side of things; this was just
>something that I came across in a search for funds for my enterprise.

Did anyone notice that the major thrust of this press release was
related to cable tuners?

For the vast majority of people who will buy an integrated HDTV
receiver, it is the cable tuner that they will use, not the ATSC
receiver; I would even go so far as to speculate that the ATSC tuner
will NEVER be used in many of these sets, so it is largely irrelevant
how well it works.

This appears to be the thrust of John's comments about supporting the
IP of a competitor.

It will be interesting to see the relative volumes of chips sold by
ATI and LG this time next year.