[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:17:26 -0800

I wrote:
>> Well - so much for the Zenith/LG 5th Generation technology
>> saving DTTV. Unless, of course, ATI has developed or
>> licensed an equivalent product of which I'm unaware.

Bert replied:
> First of all, I would expect many manufacturers are out
> there developing products to compete with the 5th gen LG
> tuner, or the upcoming ones from Micronas (ex-Linx), etc, etc, etc.

After reading your lengthy comment, which included your often stated but
unfounded optimism that advanced 5th generation like receiver product is
under development by many other CE manufacturers, I've concluded that your
actual message is; "I don't know either".

It is my understanding that the vast majority of CE manufacturers simply
integrate 3rd party receiver chipsets into their TV set hardware designs and
such systems are often chosen without significant concern as to the very
best *overall* performance specs, particularly when some portion of that
spec is mandated. The fact that approximately 80% of the set manufacturers
have opted for the ATI 2003 chipset tends to confirm my thinking. However,
not being any more informed on this issue than you, I do hope that others on
the list, who are better informed, will provide clarification.