[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:29:24 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > In any event, I can't fathom why anyone would be
 > so negative about the existence of decent 8-VSB
 > receivers when two completely independent efforts
 > have already created such.

Bert -

Possibly that is because Zenith has tended to announce a new wonder chip
each time 8vsb was seriously threatened, only to subsequently disappoint
at least me.  Others like Linx have also announced miracle chips from
time to time.  But depending upon how demanding one is we might still
say there are no "working" 8vsb chips really on the market.

It is true that I'm more optimistic this time about the Zenith 5'th gen
chip.  But I'm still somewhat taking a w8nc attitude here until USDTV or
somebody actually starts selling retail product.

- Tom