[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:13:08 -0500

At 5:00 PM -0500 11/23/04, Mark Aitken wrote:
>We need a common interface "platform" so that folks can be about the
>business of "hookin' up" their prized possessions.
>
>IMHO...

Many of the pieces are already in place.

IEEE-1394
DVI
WiFi

And perhaps most important - a progressive display that can easily
support both filtered and unfiltered  image sources and combine them
in the interface they will use to drive their systems.

What is lacking at the moment is the will of manufacturers to take
the plunge. At the moment, Mitsubishi is probably further along than
the other CE companies. But companies like Apple may have the upper
hand, as they have been developing the core technologies to make all
of this work for more than a decade. One of the keys here is auto
detection of sources as they come online or leave. The other is the
ability to store the path to a source and recall it on demand via a
simple command. E.G. if you select a program in your EPG the system
should be intelligent enough to handle the signal routing. If the
asset is "offline" (e.g. a DVD on the shelf) the system should tell
you where to find it, open the tray on the DVD player, and route the
signal.

I do, however, detect growing interest in these capabilities among consumers.