[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:12:41 -0400

At 9:51 AM -0700 6/9/08, John Willkie wrote:
caveat: by "promotion" I was referring to "free service."

You can find all sorts of crap on the Internet. This was shooting crap in a barrel.

For it to be a promotion, it needs to be promoted and/or advertised. It wasn't.

Prove me wrong. Show me tear-sheets or pdfs from San Diego newspapers or weeklies where this was promoted. Show me the commericials that were clipped (in real-time) from local cable systems or tv stations. Heck, why didn't you refer to the Cox Cable San Diego web site? Was that too relevant for your barrel? Or was there no information to support your parry?

These free HBO weekends happen once or twice a year. The main promotion takes place on the cable system itself - they run promos on a wide range of channels telling subscribers about the free "preview" weekend.

They also put flyers inside the monthly cable bill just in advance of these preview weekends.