[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:53:13 -0400

At 9:46 PM -0400 6/5/08, Tom Barry wrote:
Sorry, I can't quote any numbers or hard facts, only my own opinion picked up from hanging out on AVS and from shopping for a low end LCD when my projector bulb popped a few months ago.

But I can say that, at the low end, both Target's Olevia and Walmart's Vizio newer models all seem to support clear QAM. I ended up with a Vizio and can say it has no problems with it on Cox. And I think Vizio is now something like the 2nd best selling LCD brand now.

Until the sparsity of 'hard facts' is corrected I'm going to stick with my previous opinion that clear QAM support will become an expected option in most sets going forward. And I also think true2way has some momentum building.

- Tom

While clear QAM support may exist in many new receivers, what is it good for?

Apparently you can see some broadcast re-transmissions, but presumably you could get them with an antenna. It is my understanding that virtually all digital cable content is encrypted...

Is this what most people are finding?