[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:38:56 -0400

"The ability to push consumers"?? What, like consumers must be
gellyfish? Bob explained to you that he was on the verge of de-tethering
himself. It is the congloms and MVPD companies that will have to adapt
to consumers, not vice versa.

Correct.

I'm glad you finally get it.

Less than 15% depend on OTA TV and most of the rest have stopped watching the networks ( or at least cut back substantially). OTA goes first.

The MVPD are willing accomplices to the congloms, raising prices ever higher. When it is cheaper to buy ala carte via the Internet, say goodbye to the MVPDs.

Take a look at what NBC is doing for the summer Olympics. If you are seriously interested in a particular sport, you can watch it in real-time or on demand via the Internet. The OTA (limited) and cable network (expanded) feeds are the packaged versions for general interest browsing.

If the congloms really do go Internet distribution, as you propose, and
assuming consumers are not half as brain dead as you think they are, the
consumers are the ones that will opt for non-tethered distribution
models. Presumably, that's what makes the Internet model attractive.

I've been trying to get this through your thick head for more than a week now Bert.

Those who can't make that transition to de-tethered models deserve to
pay whatever price the MVPD demands. Just as the SUV driver deserves to
pay upwards of $100 to fill up. He is, after all, part of the problem.
Inelastic demand creates high prices. Live with it.

Why would ANYONE not be able to make the transition to a de-tethered model?

As Bob said, it is mostly an issue of inertia.

I think that your problem is that you are so far behind the curve, that all you can see is the present on the horizon. For you, the future is well beyond the horizon, so you can only see the big peaks in the distance. Kinda like driving west on I-10 and seeing the mountains north of El Paso more than a hundred mile out.

The piece on the Pace cable STBs tells you that cable companies are
looking to drop the analog tier as soon as possible. Maybe it's to offer
more VOD. Maybe it's to facilitate a la carte. I don't know. Fact is,
thay are moving for a quick transition, looks like to be completed
within 3 years.

Really?

Can you show us some announcements of such?

(note that I am not necessarily disagreeing)