[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:49:01 -0400

But won't OCAP/tru2way likely become a popular standard now? It sounds like it has enough support behind it, both from the CE guys and the cable cos.

And it allows the cable guys to more easily switch to all digital over some period of time.

- Tom

Adam Goldberg wrote:
The non-CableCARD thing is called DCAS.  The new thing Sony has been
"trumpeting" is either called OCAP or tru2way.  Either way, they're
different.  And DCAS is apparently dead (as reported in Communications
Technology mag on June 1).

I wouldn't say that an "increasing number of new TVs sold are now digital
cable ready".  It's probably better to say that a diminishing number of TV
models are digital cable ready.  (Trend is DOWN not UP)