[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:37:33 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As if to confirm my response to Bert last night...

How odd that you think this confirms what you wrote.

All the article says is that cable-only shows are just now beginning to
stream online, as OTA shows have been doing for quite some time. How
does this have any relation to the subjct of the FCC giving the congloms
the same sort of control over OTA pipes as they get over MVPS pipes???

If anything, Craig, the opposite of what you think is the trend. This
article is talking about MORE online distribution of cable shows, not
less, which is a threat to the walled garden subscription model, not the
FOTA model. Quoting:

"The Webcasting trend is not pleasing the large cable operators. Indeed,
when Glenn Britt, the chief executive of Time Warner Cable, was asked
recently how he feels about the cable networks putting more content
online, he said 'Guess what? We do mind.'

"Webcasting a program the same day it is broadcast, 'will erode your
other business model,' Mr. Britt said at the Cable Show in New Orleans
earlier this month. If this happens, he said, 'we have to intervene at
some point.'

Seems pretty clear that these issues have been resolved for some time,
when it comes to online streaming of OTA shows, eh?