[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:08:16 -0400

So what you SHOULD be claiming, if you want to sound consistent, is that
both the OTA and the MVPD model are doomed.

Now if he could just read what we say...

"But it will not happen here for the reasons stated above, AND because cable and DBS may become irrelevant within a decade as the conglomerates move to direct distribution via the Internet."

And by the way, you seem to ignore that congloms are streaming shows
over the Internet now for merely 5 ad spots per show, where each is only
30 seconds long. No one can possibly object to a 30-second ad
interruption.

I CAN AND DO.

There are good reasons why Blockbusters et al, rent tons of movies and TV SHOWS WITHOUT COMMERCIALS.

Ad supported is just a different payment model.

So your idea that it "is cheaper to buy the content you
want via the Internet" should be reworded "easier to watch over the
Internet than it is OTA.

A different issue here. It is a question of whether I can get enough of the content I want by paying directly for it, versus paying that $70/mo for cable.

And there is still convenience and timeliness to consider. I can get lot's of ad supported content now, but I need a bigger pipe to make it accessible instantly. It's time (for me) to switch from DSL to cable modem.

Over the Internet, the congloms have already adopted a more attractive
model than their FOTA model, let alone the MVPD subscription model.

Agreed. They can do this in part because the content is being paid for by the other services, and they get virtually all of the ad revenue generated via Internet download.

Or are you saying that this doesn't work? I doubt your pay-per-show idea
will work for anything but the occasional viewing of an old episode.
Very simply, the conglom that chooses NOT to charge per show will get
the advantage. It's obvious.

Tell that to the millions of people who are buying complete seasons of shows on DVD, A complete season of Lost on DVD from Amazon.com costs Between $42 and $47. Oo iTunes the same content for download costs $26.99.

Just because you are a rare holdout who feeds from the bottom of the content food chain, does not mean that this is what dominates today, People are paying for entertainment without annoying ads.

It's a choice.