[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:27:40 -0700

Craig:

"But subscribing to an MVPD is considered to be as important as having a
Pots telephone connection in your home."

Actually, maybe more so.  Many folks I know here in Las Vegas are ditching
POTS and using cellular as their primary.  Our household may soon be one of
them.

Dan

             Craig Birkmaier
             <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
             opendtv-bounce@fr         opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/04/2008 09:25          [opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight
             AM                        Over Fake News

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

At 11:25 AM -0400 6/4/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  Consumers are not coming back to FOTA [IN THE U.S.] because the
>>  congloms are sucking the life out of that service and will
>>  abandon it soon.
>
>Like I said before, Craig:
>
>"'The ability to push consumers'?? What, like consumers must be
>gellyfish? Bob explained to you that he was on the verge of de-tethering
>himself. It is the congloms and MVPD companies that will have to adapt
>to consumers, not vice versa."
>
>Ultimately, you might be right. But it all depends on us, the consumers.
>It all depends whether consumers march in lock step to whatever tune the
>congloms and MVPDs play, or whether they push back.

To the extent they can, they are pushing back - hence the huge
concern about piracy among the congloms. Clearly anyone under 30 is
more likely to try alternatives. But subscribing to an MVPD is
considered to be as important as having a Pots telephone connection
in your home. It will take some time for significant numbers of
consumers to opt out. The congloms have held on for the past thirty
years, even as their core market has splintered in a million
directions.

They still have the power to influence the public and the influence
in Washington to hold onto their power.

So yes, they can still push most consumers around...for now.

>You seem happy to acknowledge that consumers have convinced the congloms
>to de-tether their content by making it available over the Internet, but
>you seem unable to carry that idea beyond just the Internet.

Huh?

We've already discussed the widespread availability of TV content on
DVDs. Different tether, but a huge market for the congloms.

And consumers did not convince the congloms to make their content
available via the Internet.

They just DID IT themselves.

The congloms had little choice but to compete with the pirates and
legitimize this new distribution infrastructure.

As for de-tethering, there have been few successes with mobile DTV in
the U.S. Consumers are not buying into the notion that they need a TV
subscription package for their phones that mirrors the packages they
have at home. Consumers are looking at the ability to place shift
content to their mobile platforms, and even to download that content
when there is wireless bandwidth available.

Will MPH change this? Only if they can figure out how to get
receivers into consumers mobile devices.

Time will tell.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image