[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:51:54 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The congloms no longer need the OTA pipes because they
> control 90% of what people watch via the multi-channel
> pipes, and they rake in billions in direct payments
> from consumers (via the multi-channel services) for
> advertiser supported content. SWEET!
>
> What this story tells us its that the conglomerates have
> enough power now to have it both ways. They can go direct
> to the consumer, even as they use the multi-channel
> services to collect subscriber fees. The tipping point
> will happen when it is cheaper to buy the content you
> want via the Internet than to pay for extend basic cable.
> And we are ALREADY very close.

So what you SHOULD be claiming, if you want to sound consistent, is that
both the OTA and the MVPD model are doomed.

And by the way, you seem to ignore that congloms are streaming shows
over the Internet now for merely 5 ad spots per show, where each is only
30 seconds long. No one can possibly object to a 30-second ad
interruption. So your idea that it "is cheaper to buy the content you
want via the Internet" should be reworded "easier to watch over the
Internet than it is OTA.

Over the Internet, the congloms have already adopted a more attractive
model than their FOTA model, let alone the MVPD subscription model.

Or are you saying that this doesn't work? I doubt your pay-per-show idea
will work for anything but the occasional viewing of an old episode.
Very simply, the conglom that chooses NOT to charge per show will get
the advantage. It's obvious.