[opendtv] Re: New transition web site

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:00:16 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Maybe no one is doing much about converter boxes because
> they all expect, or even know that another delay is
> coming.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/03/01/eveningnews/techtalk/entry252739
3.shtml#ccmm

> And this guy invokes the poor.

There is some logic to his theory. First, broadcasters stand by a
modulation scheme that hasn't been fully worked out yet, so they can
encourage viewers to subscribe to cable/DBS, and get some of those
subsription fee $ back from these distribution companies. Then, after
receiver technology has been sorted out, broadcasters fail to inform the
public, maneuver with the subscription services and retailers to keep
products off the store shelves, fail to follow through on their cheap
STB RFP (I'm talling about the NAB now), and so on ad nauseam.

Isn't it strange how this seemingly obvious scheme does not work in
Europe or Australia, in spite of the fact that the UK, at least, appears
to have the same sort of retrans consent rules that we have here in the
US?

To illustrate, it looks like yesterday or the day before, Virgin Media
stopped carrying Sky channels, for retrans consent disagreements:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2276

I guess we have to believe that broadcasters in the UK, Italy, France,
PREFER not to get back those subscription revenues, PREFER to have
people use Freeview, because they are high minded and civically
responsible. Instead here, they greedily conspire with umbillical
services to get people addicted.

There's something that doesn't track here, which is why I continue to
dismiss these conspiracy theories (and also any notion that CE
manufacturers give a tinker's damn about modulation schemes). Something
is weird structurally, though, and I wish I knew what it is. Maybe it is
as simple as what Dale says: govt subsidies, which play a part in
Freeview and similar Euro systems, make the difference.

That blogger should quit whining and buy a Samsung STB. Can't stand the
whinings of an addict. And as I recall, it was the NAB that wanted to
stick with 8-VSB, not just CBS.